Thursday, November 6, 2008

Little Drummer Boy

I've been driving James nuts with the Christmas music. It's supplied by one of the music channels through the television. A different version of Little Drummer Boy (LDB) is on just about every 4th or 5th song. Who knew it was that popular?

After about the 28th listen, I really listened. I will admit that the LDB was not my favorite... until I heard the David Bowie/Bing Crosby version... but for you that aren't familiar with LDB, he's a poor boy too and can't give little Baby Jesus a gift. So he offers to play his drum (par ump a pum pum), and in the end Baby Jesus smiles at the LDB.

Right now the stores are getting their holiday displays ready. I'm getting nervous. Crayola wants me to give the gift of creativity- not the real creativity, the kind that comes with the new Color Explosion Glow Board. I feel like I can't even afford to buy the huge bow that would go on top of a new Lexus.

Since Team Holt doesn't know where we'll be come Christmas, I was thinking of volunteering at a soup kitchen- or something along those lines- for Thanksgiving here in Pensacola/Milton. Money might be a little tight right now, but I have plenty to be thankful for and plenty of time to give.

Anyway, the point here is that Jesus smiled when LDB did his thing on the drums. I don't know of any story or carol that Jesus smiled at the gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh.

The God-given gifts and talents we have to offer others are the ones that are much more important than those gifts we buy.

No comments: