Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Parenting Decisions

Tomorrow is Andrew's 2-month baby wellness visit.
He'll get 3 shots.
I'm already hurting from the thought of seeing him cry.

I want to do the best for my baby boy, which in my opinion, still involves him being vaccinated. I've read several articles and Autism Speaks' statement on the issue. I'm not a medical professional. Some might call me naive, but I believe that the CDC and other Health Organizations have my child's health and well-being as one of their top priorities. For every study there's been a counter-study. I will be the first to admit that I don't know anything beyond my own personal thoughts about the current controversy with immunizations.

Here are those personal thoughts:
-The known benefits outweigh the unknown risks.
-I wouldn't be able to live with myself if Andrew contracted a fatal disease that I could have protected him against.

He's gonna cry tomorrow and I can't do anything but hold him and comfort him, and unsuccessfully try to explain that what's happening is for the best. And I won't be able to give him a pacifier because I read today that the shield contains BPA. More on that later...

Ugh.

No comments: